Tiritiri Matangi Island
Photograph of saddleback: Paul Cuming
The island was farmed from the 1850s to 1970s, with farming operations centred around Hobbs Beach. With the building of Tiritiri lighthouse in 1864, the island became the site for Auckland's first lighthouse station. The lighthouse complex is one of only a few surviving lighthouse settlements in New Zealand, and the only one easily accessible to the public.
120 years of farming saw this 230-hectare island stripped of 94 per cent of its native bush but in the ten years between 1984 and 1994, volunteers planted between 250,000 and 300,000 trees. The island is now 60 per cent forested. The remaining 40 per cent will be left as grassland for species such as the Takahe.
In conjunction with this planting programme, all mammalian predators and possums have been eradicated and a number of species of threatened and endangered birds have been successfully introduced.
|(page last updated 24 January 2007)|
|web diva: Narena Olliver, new zealand birds limited , Greytown, New Zealand. 2006|
|home||store||birds||more||birding||accommodation||birding sites||check list||field guides||exhibitions||maps||tours/guides||search|